Sexual issues are more common than you think. Did you know that 40% of American women, and 30% of American men, experience some degree of sexual dysfunction?
Do any of the following apply to you:
- Low sex drive, but you are “just built that way”
- In a long-term relationship, you have sex less than once weekly
- Men: Difficulty in getting or maintaining an erection. Women: Lubrication issues.
- You avoid dating because you fear the complications that come with a sexual relationship
- You experience sex as more exciting or satisfying with casual partners than with long-term partners
- Since you’ve had kids, your sex life just “isn’t what it used to be”
- Your partner wants sex much more or much less often than you do
- You have problems reaching orgasm
- You find it difficult to discuss sex directly with your partner
- You feel our relationship would be more comfortable without the “obligation” of sex
- Sex is used as currency in your relationship, a reward for “good behavior,” or a way of manipulating some outcome
- You sometimes withhold sex to punish your partner
- Alcohol or drugs are an important part of your sex life
- You’ve been taught that married couples have boring, lukewarm sex lives
- You feel that men only want sex, or that women primarily use sex to manipulate
- Your parents rarely discussed sex openly
- You feel your partner uses you for sex. Your partner feels you use him for money.
- In your own experience, sex and love rarely go together
- You experience physical pain or discomfort during sex
- You fake orgasm
- You sometimes pretend to “have a headache,” or be “completely exhausted,” to avoid sex
- You avoid foreplay
- You are addicted to pornography
- You avoid books or movies that deal directly with sex
- You find it difficult to remain sexually faithful to one partner
- If you could cheat on your partner without getting caught, you would
- You feel your partner lacks skill or sensitivity in sex, but are unable to bring up the subject directly
If you answered Yes to five or more of these, you may be experiencing some type of sexual dysfunction.