God invites all of us to come into the safe harbor with Him where we can establish a secure attachment to a loving Parent. Most of us, even those of us with the best parents, usually struggle with some form of insecurity. Anxiety at its core is insecurity. Insecurity comes in many shapes and forms. Someone could be insecure about the way they look, about their finances, about their dreams coming true, or about wondering if they will be rejected by people they want approval from.
God designed us to need security. At the core of our being is a desire to know that we are safe and loved. Most of us try to fill those core needs in things that are not capable of filling those holes. Sure, some things temporarily satisfy, but ultimately those holes re-appear because they can’t be filled by the temporary. Insecurity is the root cause for everyone’s troubling behavior. Essentially, insecurity is someone’s daily striving to convince themselves and the world that they are valuable and safe. Some of us get very good at artificially filling our security needs with things like money, fame, importance, artificial power and using other people. Many others live with the daily crippling anxiety that comes from feeling like we are unsafe and lack the value to prove ourselves.
In Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus reveals to us the simplicity and beauty of a soul who comes to rest in God’s embrace. The type of rest that results in a calm heartbeat, a positive thought life, and a warm permeating feeling of security from knowing that God is real and He is taking care of me and my future. One cannot rest with a God that they think may be disappointed in them and may want them to behave perfectly before He can approve them. Jesus changed this narrative when He came and permanently satisfied God with His forever sacrifice for humanity in order to prove how valuable we are and how free we are to rest in His love. God is a loving God and through Christ He is pleased with you today and forever. Rest in His loving embrace; He is the best Father in the world and He longs for you to know how loved and safe you are in Him.
Bible Verses for Overcoming Anxiety:
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
- Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
- Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25-34
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30
- Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. Psalm 55:22
- Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up. Proverbs 12:25
- Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:6-8
- Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
- say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear; your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you. Isaiah 35:4