1. He describes himself as a “momma’s boy.” She describes herself as a “daddy’s girl.”
2. He or she is married or “in the process of divorcing” when you begin dating.
3. This person complains often. Bad boss, crazy ex, selfish friends, whatever. Date this person long enough, and you will certainly find yourself added to this list of offenders.
4. He or she talks more than listens. If this is already true by date three, can you imagine a few years down the road?
5. Early evidence of dishonesty. Listen to your “gut” early on, as your gut tends to spot dishonesty upfront.
6. When discussing previous relationships, he or she takes little responsibility for their own role in that relationship.
7. He or she has been married and divorced. Know that divorces rates go up significantly with each marriage.
8. Your new partner talks to their mother daily, lives within five minutes of their family, or is involved somehow with “family money.”
9. Heavy drinking or other problematic substance use. Don’t kid yourself: You are not going to be The One to save this person from their bad habits.
10. He or she is waiting for things, whatever things, to settle down. Things do not settle down.